Unlike with some other markets, one of the ties that bond SMBs together is the necessity to innovate in the absence of resources or experience. These buyers are jacks of many trades and masters of few. And there is no place better for SMBs to learn best practices than from other SMBs. This is why customer- based content is one of the best arrows in your marketing quiver.
What is customer-based content?
Customer-based content is content that features your customers. That content can take several different forms including:
- Case studies
- Customer profiles (content that features your customers but is not necessarily about them using your product)
- Best practices (which outlines a business strategy or idea and can be bylined by the customer or written in a journalistic style)
- Compilations (typically consisting of best practices or advice)
Why is customer-based content so special?
Because everyone wins. Your company gets terrific content. People like to see what others in similar situations are doing. This is especially true when it comes to SMBs.
Your customers get exposure. And that’s something most SMBs crave yet struggle to get.
Also, your company, by properly enabling your customer to share the content, will get visibility in your customer’s network. (Just don’t be surprised when your customer’s Mom posts a comment saying that Julie was always an overachiever.)
A few tips on producing great customer-based content
- Make customer-based content a regular part of your editorial calendar. It will be one of the content assets that your audience looks forward to most.
- Develop a process to find customers who are interested in being featured in your content and who will make good subjects.
- Give the writer direct access to the customer. Writing customer-based content from second-hand sources reduces the likelihood of a terrific asset.
We just launched a new service of producing customer-based content. Sure, we have been producing this type of content for years but we want to highlight the opportunity for our clients as it can give a significant boost to the level of engagement with SMB buyers.
We help companies by developing innovative customer-based content programs and execute the content production. Get in touch and let’s start delivering the content your prospects and customers want the most.