As we head into the New Year, let’s pause to reflect back on how marketing with content has evolved over the past few years.
- A few years ago many marketers noticed some competitors were consistently producing content and realized that they probably should produce content, too.
- More recently, marketers began to understand that content had to be better than good–exceptional, in fact–in order to engage an audience.
- Today marketers are realizing that their approach to content needs to be more strategic in order to have an effect on revenue and justify its budget.
Considering this evolution, and with an eye on improving the results from content marketing programs, we’ve come up with four things we want our clients–and any marketer trying to reach the SMB audience–to think about as we head into 2017.
- Consider adding interactive content (e.g., quizzes, assessments, calculators) to your content lineup. In addition to being highly engaging (when done right), interactive content can be a far more effective lead-generation tool than white papers.
- Test new calls to action (CTAs) adjacent to your content. Experiment with creating CTAs around your content as a way to support moving a target from the top to the middle of the buyer’s journey. Also, include linked text CTAs within your content, making sure you are leading your audience to take a related action.
- Invest in building your content platform (see our Chapter 2 in our eBook “Fueled by Content: Accelerating the SMB Buyer’s Journey” for more on platforms and check out this blog post on thinking programming, not content.
- Work more closely with your sales teams on content initiatives. They can help you maximize your content investment and the program’s effectiveness through sales enablement. They also can give you insights on topics to cover.
Of course, let us know if you would like to discuss any of the above with us.